London – by Chiara Fiorillo
Here are the latest updates of today’s attack in London:
- Police confirmed four people have died, including a police officer and a man who is believed to be the attacker. Two of the victims are believed to have died on the Bridge.
- At least 20 other people were injured as the attacker drove into them in a car on Westminster Bridge. Among the wounded people there are three French students from a secondary school in Brittany. Also three police officers returning from a ceremony were among the people injured on the bridge.
- One woman was rescued from the Thames after she jumped or fell from the bridge.
- The assailant was shot and killed by armed police inside the security cordon of the Houses of Parliament.
- The whole area around Westminster has been locked down.
- Buildings are in lockdown. Metropolitan Police say they are treating it as a terrorist incident.
- Theresa May will shortly hold a special ministers’ meeting.
- The prime minister, Theresa May, was evacuated from the parliament building and driven to Downing Street within minutes from the attack.
- The public is invited to call 999 only in case of a genuine emergency.
- The London Eye is also in lockdown, with some people being held inside the attraction’s pods.
- The flag above Scotland Yard is being flown to remember the heroism of its officer and the other victims of the attack.